Office: Democratic Central Staff
Description: The Michigan House Democratic Caucus is seeking a thoughtful, driven, and results-oriented Data Director to join a team of passionate people, working dutifully to achieve our mission and put our state on the right path forward.
The Data Director is a leadership position that will work closely with the Outreach Director and other senior staff to strategically inform our district-level constituency outreach plans. We want to build a team with a variety of perspectives on how to best reach our constituents using data, thus we encourage candidates with backgrounds in consulting, business analytics, finance, politics, and public policy to apply.
Key Responsibilities will be to assist the Michigan House Democratic Caucus staff and members with data needs, including creating and maintaining various constituency universes via Casework, a constituency database. Work directly with caucus leadership to provide strategic information so they can make data-informed decisions .Participate in daily and weekly calls, trainings, and meetings with senior staff. Track organizational progress (daily), develop comprehensive reports (weekly), and help craft outreach plans (quarterly). Collaborate with senior leadership staff to craft and implement detailed outreach plans, tailored to each unique district.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
- Proven ability to train staff and volunteers on key database skills and experience serving as a database administrator.
- Candidates with at least 2+ years of data management experience, including, but not limited to constituent, community, electoral, labor, or issue-based organizations are preferred.
- Candidates with some organizing and/or constituency outreach experience preferred.
- Candidates from all academic disciplines beyond political science will be considered.
- Knowledge of Excel including formulas, functions, and pivot tables.
- Knowledge of Access (or other SQL database), including creating queries and manipulating large data sets preferred.
- Familiarity with GIS preferred.
- Experience standardizing data from multiple sources to produce reports.
- Great energy and attitude.
- An ongoing interest in continued learning and adaption based on best practices.
- A willingness to give maximum effort no matter how big or small the task.
- Respect the work and don’t shy away from challenges or difficult conversations.
- Exceptionally well-organized, with an ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to speak confidently (one-on-one and in groups) and write clearly.
- Access to a vehicle, periodic travel, and cell phone are required.
Deadline: April 27, 2017.
Contact Information: Please send resume and cover letter to:
Michigan House of Representatives
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Or via email to: HumanResources@house.mi.gov
The Michigan House of Representatives accepts resumes for employment only for current position vacancies. Information regarding current position vacancies at the Michigan House of Representatives can also be accessed online at www.house.mi.gov. The position is a non-civil service appointment to state government. All employees of the Michigan House of Representatives are considered "at will".
The Michigan House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Michigan law prohibits discrimination based on religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, height, weight, arrest record or handicap. If an accommodation is needed during the application process, please contact the House Human Resources Office at (517) 373-3069. An individual needing accommodations must notify the employer in writing, within 182 days after the need is known. Persons denied equal opportunity based on these conditions may file a complaint with the Michigan Civil Rights Commission.
E-mail: Human Resources